PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DR Navigation
Thread: DR Navigation
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2013, 22:37
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A sensible answer...

NVFR ranges from being as easy as day VFR to harder than IFR. NVFR gets harder than IFR because IFR is pretty much a binary state. You see out or you don't. NVMC can be less clear with some optical illusion effects thrown in for good measure. IFR trains you to fly the instruments at the exclusion of all else, NVFR is a shandy.

A NVFR rating teaches many good things, some instrument skills and a better understanding of NAVAIDS. When I used the NVFR rating it was almost exclusively for coming home 30 min - 1 hour after dark. Flying back into a familiar city area that is well lit falls (in my opinion) at the low risk end. But if you are going to use it a lot or for flights predominantly at night, you should get an instrument rating.

My view would be that you focus in DR during training so you show yourself how accurate you can be, but when you fly it for real, have every aid possible working & helping you. I recall that during my training (pre GPS) I successfully navigated to a one horse town whose only light was a single street light and about 2 houses. Its good to know you can do this.

NVFR is that, VFR at night. The minimum instruments are less than you might think. Your instructor was using the 430 because they all cheat. Like day VFR, most of your night navigation will be by reference to the GPS. You should be fluent with its operation.

A lot of emphasis is placed on engine failures in training, but the truth is you are many times more likely to have an alternator, vacuum pump or landing light failure. If you have an alternator failure, you'll shut everything down and fly with only the 430 & txp working, there should be enough battery to get you to where you want to go.

I won't fly at night in a single anymore, although I used to a lot. I'd be very cautious about flying NVFR or IFR in a single without an auxillary vacuum pump or back up electric AH