PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash Caernarfon
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2013, 20:56
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those of us who buzz round the same old circuits on the same old airstrips keep fairly well up to date with the local hazards.....I used to ignore the displaced threshold at Enstone, knowing why they painted it in the first place, to lure pilots from London Airport (Oxford) !!! into doing some training at Enstone. Being familiar with the local scenery, there were no hazards on approach to merit a displaced threshold.

There were also some territorial disputes there that ended up with wire fences strung along the perimeter that caught the unwary. If you flew in every week or so for fuel, and kept abreast of the latest hazards, not a problem.

The main hazard on approach to one of our runways at Shenington for the unwary visitor is the electric fence occasionally erected at the end of the runway to keep in the cows....probably not mentioned in Pooleys....and quite invisible until too late....

I also would not wait for any AAIB report before making a contribution to a reasoned debate on any accident.....to my certain knowlege the AAIB doesn't always get it right even when eventually they publish. Certainly the airmiss reports are not to be relied upon. The new format that emphasises the two classes of report, one provided by the pilots involved as compared to the more authoritative one that has been properly investigated, is an improvement.