PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2013, 16:10
eaglemmoomin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh you aren't trying to paint a terrorist operation to destroy aircraft on the ground via infiltration tactics as a strike against a particular type of aircraft are you? the Harriers destroyed in afghanistan could have just as easily been F-16s or A-10s. Many Apaches were destroyed in Iraq when caught in the open by insurgents, but I wouldn't hold that as a strike against the Apache:

http://defensetech.org/2012/03/15/in...h-64s-in-iraq/

is that the apaches fault or the shutter bugs? I'm not blaming the aircraft on that.

Quote:
Don't quite get the Bill Sweetman reference, btw. Aviation writer, some great books and years in Janes. Don't see the issue here.
Aviation week saw an issue:

"Aviation Week is committed to providing objective aerospace and defense journalism based on independent and balanced coverage. Following comments posted on his personal Facebook page, the editorial team has decided that Bill Sweetman will not be covering the F-35 program for a period of time. We will continue to hold our journalists to the highest standards of editorial integrity to best serve the aerospace and defense community."

I know its the old "he isn't biased when he's biased for me!" thing. but yes there is an issue there, whether you see it or not. Its more obvious than exploding concrete to me, and was for aviation week as well.

If we want to play the "his credentials are good enough that there isn't an issue" game I can post tons of LM pilot interviews by former military flyers with impressive history, including combat. No issue with that? Billie Flynn LM Test Pilot, some great experience, flown many aircraft types and years in the RCAF. Don't see the issue here. I could link to Loren Thompson if you would like as well. OR how about General Mosely, USAF Ret.?

Pentagon Should Investigate Fighter Options Beyond The F-35

Bill Sweetman has become so toxic, they left his name of the above piece. I wonder why they would do such a thing? please don't try and convince me Bill is above bias, because not even his own publication thinks so. whether he is right or wrong is up for debate, but unbiased? no that case is closed.
Oh dear oh dear. While I personally ignore Sweetman and Palmer at this point because the bias is overwhelming and often very selective. I prefer some of the other Wired/AV Week/Aviationist commentators. I have to say the inability to fact check the date on an article from three odd years ago or even mention the age of it really doesn't strengthen your case very much, if at all.