PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is Garmin so backward?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2013, 02:55
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Why is Garmin so backward?

Does anyone know why Garmin does not provide vertical barometric coupling for GPS approaches so you can legally use a completely coupled approach to the minima?

Universal NAV has had this for about a decade and the Collins Proline equipment in my CJ3 – now more than five years old – has full vertical coupling to the minima on GPS approaches. This, of course, must improve safety. However, get Garmin equipment – even the latest – and this is not possible. This was one of the reasons I cancelled my order for a Mustang – imagine going backwards to the 1950s where you have to work out step-down fixes on distances when the Jeppesen database obviously has all the information there for the glide slope to be provided with barometric coupling.

Does anyone know how we can encourage Garmin to get with the twenty-first century and provide this in Australia?

Of course, we all know that in the United States they have WAAS and so don’t need vertical barometric coupling. Could that be the reason Garmin have not done anything for the rest of the world?