PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2013, 22:22
gazumped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The root causes of this accident cannot be simply sheeted home to the crew and the crew alone.
How about 1) Regulator MIA
2) Poor training
3) Corporate culture
4) Chief pilot attitude
5) Peer pressure
6) Company SOP's
There are probably a dozen other systemic latent failures still firmly cemented in place. All of the above reasons are pure guess work on my part, (however backed up by 40 years in the industry seeing it all happen again and again).

I am only guessing that all of the other culprits hiding behind desks will get away absolutely Scott free, and the poor old crew will get it in the neck. Unusually the crew are able to actually talk about what happened, in this instance, normally they would be in the morgue, and be unable to attempt to defend themselves.

The sobering reality is, the buck finally stops @ the flight deck, we, collectively, can stop this happening again by having our own "sensible SOP's".

OBEY THE BLOODY RULES"!!

I am bumping my gums in vein, because somewhere, someone, will do the same thing again. The only excuseable ways of loosing your life in an aircraft are, struck by a meteor, in in flight bomb, an uncontained fire, and a heart attack!! All other reasons are avoidable. The next crew to do something silly because of, peer pressure, lousy corporate culture, poor regulatory oversight, poor training, etc. etc. will probable not be able to talk about it.