PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 6
Thread: Aer Lingus - 6
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2013, 19:55
EISNN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@EI -A330-300

No offence taken. I guess I didn't make myself clear. The scheme is on a downward trend any way that you look at it. €105m was injected into it in 2006. That left it at approx a flat €0 balance. €150m still leaves a €600m deficit. I'm not expecting EI management to fill the deficit nor am I expecting the DAA to fill it. The pension fund is in the cra**er either way. There are not enough staff paying into the fund like there would have been years ago. approx 15 years ago EI had about 7 thousand staff between DUB, ORK, SNN and LHR. LHR alone had something like 2,000 staff alone due to the very big 3rd party passenger and cargo operation there. Not to mention Team Aer Lingus. Can't remember the numbers on that. These days there are approx 3,500 EI staff and not all of them are paying into the pension scheme now. The newer staff are offered the option of joining the pension scheme but not all are taking it up. There are about 3,000 paying into the scheme. 3,000 staff paying into a pension for a larger amount of ex staff who are drawing off it doesn't make for a good outcome. I feel sorry for the staff who are paying now and can't remove themselves from the scheme cos there'll be little or no one to pay into a fund for them in the future. I'm sure the DAA staff are in a similar position. Forgive me if my figures are wrong but I'm hearing these numbers from friends still in the company.