PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair accused of 'exploiting' staff
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2013, 16:41
clunk1001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I'm not a troll. No I don't work for (or with) any European airline. No I don't have an agenda.

I think RYR have plenty of criticism due them, in all areas of their business. But the two articles linked in this thread have the opposite effect (on me anyway).

The original Flight Attendant article looks like RYR bashing for the sake of it. £1,800 for training and then paid £13 per hour? That's actually pretty good as a starting salary - University graduates these days can spent £18,000 on their degree and work for less. So what's the point of the article? is it how well paid RYR flight attendants are with only minimal investment?

And the RPG article actually makes the RPG look bad for raising it as a safety issue. A link with commuting and safety is fair enough (I've already read the articles thanks TruckFlyer), but that's not what's in the article - its about money - pensions, medicals, uniforms and sick pay. And as 5/4 is as about as good as it gets, commuting isnt mentioned in the article. Again, contracting gets much worse outside aviation - "how about you put aside 15% of your salary for sick pay like everyone else does, instead of that flash car or big watch?" is what people will say.

My point is that whilst people may have a good cause - they are not making a good case.

And on that subject, Truckflyer, great argument by the way, the old "well you're a chump" rationale. Prisoner's Dilemma involves participants being given limited choices, in complete isolation. Wheras in RYR the RPG is specifically there to facilitate communication between Pilots, irrespective of its recognition by RYR, so there really is no similarity to Prisoner Dilemma.
Happy to discuss, if you want to give a name to your version, which involves people with multiple choices able to openly communicate, but choose not to. A name might be Pilot's Dilemma.

Last edited by clunk1001; 20th May 2013 at 17:02.