PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL theory questions
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2013, 13:28
hvogt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is another one of the many questions which are phrased very poorly. From the information the VOR or the "VOR QDM 150" or whatever was located "to the left of the NDB", the NDB could be virtually anywhere. I think the key aspect of the question is to understand you are following radial 330 indound to the VOR, i.e. your course is 150 degrees magnetic. If your magnetic heading is 156 degrees, your nose is obviously pointing 6 degrees to the right of your course line. With a little interpretation, the question seems to imply (1.) you were abeam the NDB when passing the VOR and (2.) the NDB was on the right side of your course. If your nose was pointing in the direction of your course (150 degrees magnetic) when passing the station, your RB to the NDB would be 90 degrees. Since your nose is 6 degrees further to the right, your RB will be 90-6=84 degrees.

By the way, a relative bearing is never magnetic, true or otherwise. It's just relative, i.e. relative to the aircraft's longitudinal axis.

Last edited by hvogt; 20th May 2013 at 14:14. Reason: typo