PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2013, 10:28
Tim Mills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More lovely stories from all. Called up Aug 48, accepted for pilot training, Cottesmore I think, tried hard, achieved 15 plus hours on the Tiger Moth, and even then not going solo! Not entirely my incompetence, weather related, that's my story. Luckily off to Cranwell,, to learn manners and the proper hat to wear in civvies, and they had the ponderous Prentice which allowed me to land it without bouncing all over the place, and it was all go from there with the good old, and most enjoyable, Harvard to come. And Wings!

Which brings me to the real point of all this. The students bar in the College was of course a lead in to future Happy Hours, but the thing I really remember was that they had rough cider on sale, which I think was meant to lead us gently to the real stuff, and I think it was probably cheaper than Mr Watney or whoever. But in fact it had a rather more profound effect, so was deservedly popular. I'm afraid I don't remember who made it. Good though. Though I did progress, and even here where the cold and fizzy rules I still prefer the hop to the apple!

Nearly back on track!