PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senior Aviation/Austin Aviation
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2013, 23:52
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If something seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Firstly, Senior Aviation is selling a business franchise and states that it doesn't matter with which school you are training
Originally Posted by their website
Your own Business website franchise, which you will sell flights online for the school you are training with, fully designed and live.
How would A. N. Other flight school feel about this?

I would be sceptical about any organisation that claims it can set up a business bank account and business credit card without credit checks? What happened to Money Laundering Regulations? Proof of ID?

Secondly, you cannot reclaim VAT and/or income tax for a PPL. I know some ppruners have done so in the past where they have demonstrated a business plan which encompassed CPL/FI or IR training immediately afterwards as part of a modular training programme but times have changed. When the company owner of this website has stated that he successfully managed to do so, it was ten years ago when the Inland Revenue and Customs & Excise were two separate organisations; they are now one - HM Revenue and Customs.

I've said it before, and I guess I'll say it again ... you can only reclaim VAT on your training if you become self-employed afterwards (either as a sole trader or via your own limited company through which you would pay yourself via PAYE and maybe dividends). If you become employed (i.e. North Sea), then the VAT reclaimed would have to be paid back as you are NOT in business in your own right. The mechanisms for reclaiming income tax (which is different to VAT) on pre-business training are, to the best of my knowledge, non-existent. Hell, I couldn't even reclaim income tax on my ACA training which I partly self-funded and that was back in 1990.

I reckon that the owners of this franchise model have found a local accountant who reckons they can get this past HMR&C; I, along with a few other ppruners here who are businessmen or who have sought professional advice, am dubious. Very dubious.

I would urge anyone here not to part with any money for this franchise model without checking it first with qualified professionals i.e. Chartered or Certified accountants or a member of the Institute of Tax. I would trust that this Senior Aviation would send the "fine print" and T&Cs for inspection before money has changed hands. Personally, I'd like to know the name of the accountant who does all this on ones behalf; presumably a 64-8 has to be signed in order for them to act as your agent?

Now may be a good time to point out that anyone can set up as an accountant; there are no restrictions so it's a good idea to check the actual qualification.

Cheers

Whirls

Last edited by Whirlygig; 19th May 2013 at 23:54. Reason: Rioja-induced spolling ...