PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone use those iPhone Naviagation Apps
Old 19th May 2013, 19:33
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peterh337, Achimha,

The question was asked by the pilot to the BR inspector why he considered that the ANP was not suitable - after all, the actual charts, aips were loaded on them.

The BR inspector pointed out that it is not in the realms of impossibility for the iPad / iPhone to fail - indeed, with the original iPad it was noted that they failed due to heat at altitude when the sun shone directly onto it ( I had this happen to me once ) - or the battery to fail, in such a situation the pilot has no means of navigation. Even with a charger connected, the unit could still fail without warning which was why the BR Inspector considered the ANP to be unsuitable because of a lack of redundancy for the technics.....

Therefore, as he considered the chart not suitable for navigation, he requested the pilot to copy a chart and take that along, which he did - irrespective of whether he used it or not. Now, you might care to argue with the BR, that the guy exceeded his remit - I would rather not wind them up the wrong way, I saw what happened to someone who did.......

Last edited by Steve6443; 19th May 2013 at 19:33.