PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senior Aviation/Austin Aviation
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2013, 18:13
helicopterflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/515...k-website.html

The other thread is VERY interesting indeed. Moderators have moved my post from the other thread to this one, but I thought it was important to edit this post with a link back to the original thread I was posting against, so you know what prompted this...

I'm training for my PPL(H) now and upto 52 hours so far.

I looked into this last year when I started my training. I asked about the VAT thing (as 20% on top of £250 lesson is hard to swallow). So far, I have paid over £2600 of VAT on the lessons. Plus, there is VAT on the 52 landing fees I've had to pay, and VAT on the ground school courses I have taken and exams. I bet I am easily up to £3000 of VAT since starting this.

When I looked into this last year, the flying school said 'no' to me claiming the VAT back. I also checked with my accountant (who is senior partner of his firm and an ex-tax man) and he also said 'no'.

I have also 'moaned' about this to fellow student pilots and the qualified pilots at the airfield and they've all had to pay VAT, because their accountants and instructors have all said 'you can't claim back the VAT'.

I'd really like to know more about this.

Last edited by helicopterflyer; 19th May 2013 at 21:58.