PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding endorsements - somewhat confused
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2013, 15:26
mat777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gliding endorsements - somewhat confused

Hi everyone,

I solo'd in a glider last weekend and I am now looking to move onto doing my badges - only I had a few questions, and looking on the BGA website only made me come away with more questions!

What are the exact requirements for getting a bronze badge? The BGA site only mentions "skills tests", but I hear one has to do something like 10 hours P1, a 60km flight and a 2 hour flight? Is this correct?

Secondly, I have seen someone at my local club brandishing a A6-sized green booklet that is apparently something to do with bronze progress. They said its available on the BGA shop, I'll be damned if I can find it though?

Thirdly, where does the new GPL come into all this? Am I right in thinking I get it if I complete bronze? It doesnt seem to be essential, what are the benefits of it?

Finally, it is my ultimate goal to convert to an NPPL (then work up to full PPL). What does this entail? I've been told that I can put 10 hours gliding at P1 towards the 40 or so hours solo in a proper powered plane it needs? However, the BGA site seems to suggest that once I have a GPL, I can do a quick conversion to a Motor Glider licence, then convert that to an SSEA NPPL? this seems to circumvent the hours, training and ground studies that I thought a PPL required, unless I am missing something drastic? medical certification is no problem as i hold a full class 2, its just the actual flying requirements that have me confused.

Apologies if these questions seem a bit daft but I am genuinely not sure what links to what, and how best to proceed up the various ladders!

thanks,
Matt