PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL(A) and PPL(H) Pilots.
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2013, 05:21
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knievel

I think some good advice above and I have learn't on and owned both. My personal experience is that they both initially take similar effort to learn, get safe and enjoy.

My Heli was a very basic helicopter and once you can relax after the learning phase it was very straightforward to fly VFR and not really mentally taxing and very rewarding. After selling my own Helicopter I have found it really hard to stay current and motivated via the renting route mainly due to having to travel to where I can rent, meeting renting rules and having a viable reason to fly a Helicopter other than fun.

Fixed wing I part own and fly a fast and modern Cirrus with Glass Avionics and for me personally I enjoy the utility and distance that can be travelled in comfort much more than a helicopter and have a real reason and need to travel long (ish) distances so it fits my mission better and therefore keeps me motivated to keep current and on balance I have enjoyed it much more.

So a massive factor in the decision making is

a) What flying do you hope to do post PPL?
b) What will you have good access to assuming renting?
c) What finances available? rule of thumb from my experience Helicopter means at least 2 x cost of FW