PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA to kill general aviation
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 21:59
Prop swinger

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Singh
NPPL(SSEA) is being replaced by LAPL. I seriously do not understand the process they have adopted.

I only fly 3 axis microlights. I was planning to get SSEA rating but it seems like better to wait until the changes come into force in 2015(?).

Like most EU wide initiatives, it seems that this was a good idea before it got to the politicians. I see similar issues in my day job (oil&gas) where EU wide initiatives are in good intentions but the legislation that we see is extremely biased.
The changes came into effect in April 2012, although there is a 3 year transition period.

Your NPPL(M) is recognised by the NPPL group & can have an SSEA added with a greatly reduced training requirement. An NPPL(SSEA) can be converted to an EASA LAPL(A) until April 2015.

You will still be able to add an SSEA to your NPPL after April 2015 but it will only be valid within UK airspace & on non-EASA aircraft. If you want an EASA LAPL(A) after April 8, 2015 you will be treated as a total noob & expected to start from scratch.