PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 19:26
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danny,

No, my time at Machrihanish was 81 - 84. But, the staish was a Wing Co, and a real gentleman, it was a great tour. Just to give you a "flavour". The day after I arrived there, as SNCO i/c VASS, they closed the runway for resurfacing. The only visitors we had for the first half of my tour were choppers from Prestwick. I had two, very competent Corporals, and four top notch airmen. We split the working week into two. Corporal "A" led a two man shift for two days, and the following week three days, and vice versa for the other shift. Me ? I had a radio, and was in contact at all times with my men, even if I was on the Golf Course. We had some great visitors

I enjoyed Machrihanish so much, I have spent lots of time up there since leaving.

Smudge

PS, I'm second right, who the bloke to my right is, well, there's a challenge. On that flight I got to meet Yoko Ono as well. And Linda, the Kids, Denny Laine........ I have to admit, the bloke on my right could play the guitar, slightly better than me. And we did have a go together in the all ranks club 1983. The bloke to the right of me became a very good C130 Ground Engineer, I would say " as did I" for want of modesty.

Last edited by smujsmith; 18th May 2013 at 20:04.