PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 17:29
Danny42C

Cider, etc,

Chugalug,

There seem to be varying opinions about Machrihanish (see Smujsmith's glowing report), so I'll reserve judgment for the time being (never fancied the place much myself). I can well believe it might be a good place for fresh fish: it would make sense to stow it as far downwind of the Flight Deck as possible, even apart from the refrigeration aspect.

Hope it was securely lashed down, as I believe you opened the lid at the back from time to time as circumstances demanded (must have been very draughty).

The "Carlstrom Syndrome" is particularly unsettling. I could understand forgetting some place or individual - we all do that - but when a photograph is shown to you of a place which you must have seen a hundred times, and it still means nothing, or a Station Commander is named, under whom you served for over a year, and your mind is still blank, then it leaves a strange feeling.

I seem to have set a hare running with Chalk Farm Cider, wouldn't want anyone to waste much time on historical research, for the firm is probably long defunct. Google tells us no end about the cider farms down there, and there are plenty of others who, I'm sure, sell an equally potent product...D.

clicker,

As before, google "RAF Wartling", and it'll come up with the goods. There are a lot of nice pics (one on the side "8-06"), looks like a nice des. res. In fact it would be the innocent-looking Guard House and top of the stairs down to the business end far below (the "hole"). AFAIK, all the ROTOR stations on the East and South Coasts were underground, with a dummy "house" like that on top.

Apparently they're excavating the place (You Tube)......D

Smujsmith,

Sounds like a wonderful place, so long as the sun was shining ! Was it a G/Capt station in your time ? There was some gossip about the reason for his shortened tour; W/Cdr Sewell was a very personable chap, with a lovely new pale blue Standard Vanguard (Fortune has Pandered to the Man with a Standard), and I can't remember ever being introduced to a Mrs S. But you know how people talk !...D.

Cheers, everbody,

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 18th May 2013 at 17:33. Reason: Typo.