PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for new female pilot
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 16:11
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Lady Jennifer, firstly, your gender is not an issue so don't worry about it.
I am "old school" and not from Europe but currently working in Europe on a bizjet.
I don't believe in paying for a speculative type rating for the above reasons.
I am a believer in working your way up and gaining experience and contacts.
As you already hold a CPL, then the pro's and cons' of modular v integrated are moot.
Therefore, right now, you have a couple of choices.

You can look around and find out what school may hire you post instructor rating should you go that path. Look for decent jobs etc. It's good for actually teaching you how to fly, understand the principles a lot better and it's not a bad ticket to have for future work as a line trainer etc. However, you must want to teach, not just "hour build" and work can be sporadic.

Other option is to pack a bag, head to Africa or the Caribbean and try your luck as a s/e charter pilot. That requires a fair bit of planning and luck, but it's worth it for the life experience alone.

Final option is to get yourself a job in an FBO (ideally with it's own aircraft) and make yourself utterly indispensable to them. Make contacts, show willing, learn and you just may get yourself a job on a bizjet/Kingair. Downsides is the hour accrual rate is low, 300 a year or so.