PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew Holdies - Length of Hold
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 15:10
Willard Whyte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at civvie street if you left in the next couple of yrs you could move back in with parents to save money. Buying your own place will cost, on a monthly basis, (very conservatively) £700 for mortgage/rent, £100 for council tax, utilities £60, £15 insurance, £100 travel costs to work, £40 gym, £10 dental = £1,025 pcm. That's very conservative and equates to around £12,000 a yr, a difference of around £9,500 extra costs over staying in the mess. So add £10k onto what you are paid just now, that is the minimum you would need to earn to have the same standard of living!
Most sensible folk would already be on the real property ladder rather than a glorified prison that is a mess. That makes a monthly difference of about £50 by your figures, or £10 by mine - although if anything more than an inspection does need doing dental would be rather more than that.

Plenty of well paid, and secure, jobs on the outside if one is prepared to take the leap. I'd opine the grass out here is verdantly lush, when I look back at what I left I realise that what was described as green is in fact brown.