PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for new female pilot
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 13:53
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well I aint worried about you overtaking me in the job queue (since I have a great little long haul job and a few thousand hours on the A330), but I say you're mad if you even consider paying for line time at all, let alone the £50 and £60 grand figures you're tossing around in such a care free fashion.

Both myself and my wife (since you're looking for advice from a female pilot) worked up from the bottom, me as a flying instructor / air ambulance pilot, and her as a flight ops / dispatch person who moved into the turboprop RHS after a year working in the office. Both are still valid paths to get to the shiny jets, and both are jobs that actually pay you while you're working towards your goals.

Believe it or not, a lot (I'd say the majority) of the people who post on here slagging off at P2F aren't competing wannabes, they are airline people who are concerned about the slickly packaged rip off merchants who are absolutely ravaging you guys who are so desperate to get into this industry, and the eye watering sums of debt you are prepared to take on to get a foot in the door.

The lie these guys are selling, is that somehow having 500 on type will make the jobs mysteriously appear, but the problem at the moment is a more simple one - the "good" airlines just aren't hiring, and haven't done so for several years. Having all the time in the world won't make an airline hire you, if they don't want or need any more pilots at the moment.

Rest assured the decent airlines WILL start hiring again at some stage, probably not until this stupid economic recession is over. Rest assured that when they do, they will be looking for the "right" people. The "right" people aren't going to be the hot headed young who have a two-years-uncurrent B737 rating and 500 hours of cowboy ops with Lion Air, and who've been doing nothing but flipping burgers ever since while they try to service their £120,000 debts. The "right" people will be the ones who have been biding their time in flight instructing and turboprops, staying current, staying positive and doing the networking.

If you have a specific and genuine job offer that requires you to go fund a type rating, and if the economics of doing so make it worthwhile, that's generally ok, but it is utter lunacy to go and drop £50,000+ on some speculative jet time with a crummy operator. Refer to the Lion Air and Eastern Skyjets threads running on these forums at the moment and get a feel for the people who are actually selling these right hand seats, they're bottom-of-the-food-chain airlines in third world countries as a rule. For every chief pilot who might keep your CV when he saw your time on type with these airlines, there's two other chief pilots who'll throw it in the trash even faster.