PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL(A) and PPL(H) Pilots.
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 11:26
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
I hold both licenses, and own two FW.

I support a few of the foregoing comments;

Helicopters are much more costly. Is money a factor in training?

The PPLH will be of no use if you don't own a helicopter to fly.

Helicopters are no more dangerous, but they are often less forgiving. The perceived greater risk is that a helicopter can be foolishly flown into more situations/conditions which increase risk, than most planes can. I think that a helicopter which is flown the same as a VFR fixed wing would be, other than for the lack of an airport at each end of the route will be equally safe - though much more costly.

If you think to train in both, do the fixed wing first. Some of the principles are common to both (navigation, airspace and radio work, and diversions/precautionarys), so you may as well learn then in the less expensive aircraft.

There are more mechanical things that can go wrong in a helicopter than a plane, though well maintained, this does not seem to be any greater risk. The plane can suddenly demand more, and more varied pilot skill relative to the norm, than the helicopter. Once the helicopter piloting skills are mastered, they are commonly exercised, other than emergencies. Fixed wing piloting has greater potential to draw you into gusty crosswind landings, soft/short field operations, and rather differing characteristics of aircraft types. Helicopters not so much, until you're in to much larger ones.

Try both for a few hours each....