PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew Holdies - Length of Hold
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 09:57
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
zz369,

First of all I'm sorry for what happened to you - and wish you well for the future.

WannabeCrewman is a big boy (person?) who can make his/her own mind up, all we can do is offer advice/opinions/suggestions. However, I disagree with your advice (but not your right to offer it).

First of all remember that the OP isn't on substantive Sgts pay, so their pay presumably isn't huge (I know about all the fringe benefits, cheap accommodation, free gym, healthcare, etc), probably what graduate entry jobs are paying in the civil world. However, and this is my main point. Presumably the OP is still young, free and single, with no mortgage to pay, kids to clothe, feed, etc. It's just themselves they have to look after. People who join the military are generally proactive, they want to go out into the world and do something, make a mark, achieve, contribute, etc - as a rule they're not the sort of people who "play it safe". The OP seems to be faced with a five year wait, presumably during their early 20s, sitting on their hands during some of the most productive years of their life, with no real guarantee of anything at the end of it.

My advice would be for them to leave and get on with their life while they can.

However, the beauty of advice is that NOBODY HAS TO TAKE IT!!

Once again, best of luck with your personal future.