PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Raaf Atc Darwin
Thread: Raaf Atc Darwin
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2003, 04:23
Richo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing the point

Hello all

I see few, if any thing in Darwin have changed.

NFR, still fighting the losing battle with HQ I see.

RENURPP I once raised a motion at the Darwin RAPAC, which was in essence a vote of no confidence in the RAAF to be able to or even be willing to provide sufficent support to RAAF Darwin ATC to do thier job. As far as I am aware this motion still stands !.

How about we look at the MULTIPLE failures that are going on here and consider thier effect on increasing the chance of a major accident. I believe they are refered to as latent failures(effects).

It appears obvious to me that there are multiple failures and these need to be addressed urgently, especialy at this time of the year in Darwin. But RAAF HQ does not provide NFR with the manpower or resorces to do his job safely.

Really NFR, its time to do a RISK ASSESSMENT on this and if necessary close the aerodrome !, trust me that will work better than the NOTAMS at getting the attention of RAAF HQ.

As for the OMNI D OUTER THR LIGHTS, in Darwin these lights are mandatory to conduct a circling approcah at night. The reason is that Darwin has ORP's (operational rediness Platforms) at the end of each runway. This means the runway lights for the first 200m are sunken into the tarmack and are only visible from 45 deg off runway heading. So are the green/Red runway end lights in the centre section of the runwaystrip. Therefore while circling the only lights visible to the pilot are the two OUTER green runway end lights. Gotta have them to be able to see the end of the runway as per JEPP and AIP circling requirments.

It is my belief/opinion that you can, and will (as per JEPP) circle for the SAME runway as the approach you have just made if NOCOM. This simply means you fly a circular circuit, at a safe height, it does not have to be MDA. If the weather is real ****ty, well then its an emergency, and then you do what you have too.

Its worth thinking about it this way, Darwin has NOTAMS stating the unreliable nature of several required systems, not necesserily all at once but they may be under certian possible circumstances. Therefore the AD is not suitable and requires an ALTERNATE.

Bottom line RAAF HQ don't or can't give a s*&^ about the users at Darwin. Way too much talk/visits, but NO action at fixing the problems.

PS Darwin ATC are not NECESSARILY to blame for this, its RAAF HQ, who don't even listen to thier own staff in Darwin.