PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two planes fly into power lines in Qld
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2013, 23:43
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The winscreen cleaning thread

XXX in ag work there are unseen and unknown wires, and other hazards, but worst is unremembered.

Many ag wire strikes are into wires that were briefed or indicated on work maps, but subsequently forgotten, or the immediate recall overwritten by another priority, real or percieved, or even distraction from another sensory input visual, audible or tactile. I hit a wire with my nose gear in a flitcher when topdressing. I knew it was there but had a higher issue ( i thought subconsciously) to deal with at the time due to being overloaded with a bridged load of supershosphate at the time and trying to outclimb rising terrain in a blind valley. All my attention was on clearing the ridgeline and the wire caught the gear just as i crested the hill in a nose high attitude. I didnt see it as it was out of my field of view, and not in my immediate thoughts at that moment. It was unseen and unremembered.

The reference i made to clean windscreen was more applicable when intentionally flying under wires where the relative motion of the wire can be very slow and losing sight of it amongst the confusion of horizontal scratches when fling into a low sun can be annoying.

HD