PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 17th May 2013, 21:26
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Sleeps ?

What is it now, five sleeps until the Senate report is released? Not sure if I feel like a kid a Christmas or a one of Granddame's lot who were always very careful of "what they wished for". Pragmatism says more 'soft, white paper' – but nagging away in the background there is a cheery little tune of hope. I expect time will tell.

There is a thread -Leopard Moths & Miles Falcon -running on the GA page. The posters speak of early times, when the earth was soft and the sky was misty and life was a lot simpler. Back then, folks seemed to accept the risks and responsibility of flight without the armies of lawyers, mountains of regulation and huge 'safety' budgets – you paid your money and took your chances. There was a need for change back then, but history shows an interest in "Aviation" which touched everyone, from Prime Minister to the wide eyed kid who managed to scrape up the shillings required to 'loop de loop' in a Tiger one unforgettable day. The approach to change back then seems to have been cohesive, integrated and "in the general interest".

It is easy enough to see how we went from carefree, potentially lethal to the Nanny state construct we have today. But I wonder if with the improved technology, knowledge, and history we have of matters aeronautical – do we really need quite so many rules and criminal charges. Then, the answer slides into place – aviation may have changed, but human nature simply has not.

Aye well; enough of my rambling – I've decided to treat the report much like Christmas; be bloody glad when it's all over and life returns to a semblance of sanity......

Selah.

MODS – Any way can we identify viewer 400,000??? – Choccy frog award, bit of fun and all that. It has been a journey

Last edited by Kharon; 17th May 2013 at 22:08. Reason: Sunny if you want your boomerang to come back. etc