PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uninstalling and reinstalling Office to overcome a problem.
Old 17th May 2013, 16:42
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Yep, I've had some (rare) support from MS which was fine. But the numbers keep changing.

Bush. Thanks, that does seem germane.

I think you'll find the problem is with the file, not the program.
Milo, One of the logical answers is that it has to be the file, but I must have tried this a dozen, no, make that 20 times.

W-Perfect produces a XXXX.doc file that immediately works on the other computer running the same copy of Office. ( 3 seat deal and all updated ) It definitely has a dot doc extension.

Thinks: The fault showed up immediately after the re-install. And was still there after Office suddenly updated itself.* So, not the update.

The other logical argument must be that Office left information behind that was picked up on the re-install.

* Just to add to my joys, Office upgrade (some hours after the re-install) did everything behind the Word screen. (I assume that's why there was no warning)

It suddenly rebooted my computer without the slightest warning but did create a XXXX(Autosaved).doc file.

It had a different word count to the original, meaning I have to compare every single word in a twenty page chapter.

My dislike of Word is turning into pathological hatred. And yes, I shall migrate away from MS just as soon as I get this darn book Kindlerized.

Last edited by Loose rivets; 17th May 2013 at 16:43.