PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JET A 1 bowser wanted
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2013, 16:30
Dave Sharpe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Bowser

Taking the risk of teaching wise men to suck eggs---We went through the route of having two fuel bowsers, one for Avgas and one for Jet A1 a few years ago to support an operator in East Anglia--a single source of info was impossible to find--but what we did learn was----Up to 1000 litres marked or physical capacity the rules were easy--no requirement for ADR training-we limited tow speeds to 50Mph- we used a Toyota Amazon and had a basic spill kit, a basic first aid Kit, with half a dozen foam extinguisheresin the truck-a Basic diary of when/ where was kept--the tow vehicle did not need a front Haz plate--but the contents were clearly stickered..Perhaps because we operated in a rural area and the Police were familiar with small bowsers we never had a single pull- although I did know of operators being pulled for having obviously larger bowsers--There is an accepted historic legacy of using single skinned bowsers--We used the GPI fuel pumps and quantity meters with some large fine fuel filters ( Baldwin- I think ) which had water drain points--a sample of fuel was water checked and retained until the end of Operations--we never had any isue with water and the GPI fuel pumps have a mesh filter in them as well...It anybody wants the source document for the 1000 litre rule and single skin grandfather right..just PM me and I will see what I can dig out--We did get a few visits from the CAA field inspectors without any issues and they were thorough in their inspections of the support vehicles and kit carried -We were pleasure flying the R44 at local country shows