PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reducing runway occupancy time
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2013, 16:16
TAAMGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the ATC side of things, I believe that ROT's are a cultural issue, as much as anything else. It requires an environment where the controllers are pushing as much as they can for efficiency. This crosses into the cockpit with effective communication, allowing flight crews to properly plan, and then manage their energy accordingly.

If the controller exudes a laiisez faire attitude, the crews will pick up on this and be a little more relaxed. If the controller is pushing with emphatic clearances, and phrases susch as "plan first available exit", "expedite to the next high speed", etc. then the flight crews will pick up on this and play ball.

I have seen procedures come and go, but to my mind the most effective tool is the collaboration between the controller and the pilot(s) to really perform for the benefit of all. It's a culture. Two cases in point come to my mind representing opposite ends of the spectrum. Years ago as a pax on a flight into KBOS, we landed in a A320 and the pilot hammered the reversers and the brakes to the point where I observed tire smoke just prior to the aircraft turning off into the exit. The other scenario involved a BA 747 crew wanting to taxi the full length of the runway, prior to departure, to inspect it for themselves after it was swept of snow and duly inspected/reported. Their request was denied.

I can tell you that here in Canada, ROT's are again coming up on management's radar as every last ounce of efficiency is being squeezed out of airport operations coast to coast.