PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport vehicle question... Austin Champ
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2013, 12:59
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^ it appears that it's an "in" joke with the Mods, who appear to share my loathing of said motorised stagecoach.

I'll admit the coil-sprung ones are an improvement , but let's face it, ANYTHING was an improvement -with the exception of the over-complicated, over -designed, over-weight and easily over-balanced "Champ"

The theory of driving one fully submerged in it's totally watertight and R-F -proof glory, was one of those cretinous ideas that the mandarins failed to think through----how the Fxxk it never occurred to them that the driver would either float away or drown before losing control, i don't know.

Apart from the piss-poor ground-clearance, the massive weight, narrow tyres and narrow track made it a lethal device to attempt a traverse of any sort of slope in.....and, once the whale had rolled, it was a nightmare to right again.

A magnificently engineered Submarine,undoubtedly, but a total disaster as a ground-vehicle. They represent all that was, and is, wrong with british military Procurement.