PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying or renting to acheive PPL and beyond
Old 17th May 2013, 11:53
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the numbers didn't add, the Schools and Renters would charge more than they do! QED.

Fixed-costs are just that! They normally form the bulk of the TCO (total cost of ownership) of anything that F's F's or F's The more you use them, the smaller per-hour are the fixed-costs.

Knew a bloke who bought a share in a vintage tail-dragger Aeronca. He learned to fly (and hand-start ) Even paying a premium to the flying-school,to release the instructor, it worked out to be a mega-saving.

(Special rules do NOT preclude you training on YOUR OWN Permit aircraft )

If 3 family members club together, I think you'd save a considerable amount.... for two, it might not be such a good idea. think of the number of days when weather or work precludes flying, then work out how you'd all get your turns of the remaining availability. The reliability issue is a bit of a red-herring- I'd sooner take my chances on availability with a privately owned aircraft , than a thrice -daily abused Spam-can.

You'd need to do all your research carefully and get the ducks in a row, BEFORE purchase.

Oh, and beware some of the new maintenance directives on old Cessnas, which , apparently, the CAA have gold-plated , to the cost of the (now) poor owner. (life-expired seatbelts, for example.)

WARNING- I'm not even a PPL so the above is probably worth what you paid for it!