PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2013, 11:18
framer

Received 483 Likes on 130 Posts
It's a bit of a Hijack there firefly. There is a whole thread on monitored approaches. I do them and think they are just fine but you are missing the point if you think you can prevent a crash like this by teaching them a different way of flying the approach. For a start that involves the crew displaying discipline at adhering to SOP's and it would surprise me if this crew have followed their SOP's with discipline. In addition the company has allegedly had so many incidents with P2F at the controls that they don't allow the F/O's to be at the controls below 5000ft, yet they persist with the recruitment system. I doubt they are now going to suddenly trust these same pilots to fly all the NPA's.
The solution isn't monitored approaches, the solution is reform at an Organizational and Industrial level.
If it were to occur it would be a slow grind but results could be seen within a couple of years. Unfortunately about the only motivator I can think of to initiate this type of reform would be if enough airlines were banned from operating internationally. That might gee a few of the politicians into making something happen.