PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2013, 09:46
gazumped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would appear pretty clear as to what happened, I would like to put forward some suggestions as to why it happened and what can be done about it.
Waiting for a third world regulator to take some form of decisive action, could end up just trying your patience.
Having worked for a couple of companies that put pressure on crew to break the rules in order to improve profitability, I feel that I am in some way qualified to comment.
Firstly pilots love to "get the job done", and there is a tendency to feel a failure if you go around and, end up diverting to an alternate. Low quality companies make no attempt to defuse this natural tendency or to indoctrinated pilots into the secrets of professionalism.
The secret of aviation professionalism is OBEY THE BLOODY RULES!
On the other hand good quality companies actively encourage crew to follow all legal and company SOP's.
This is reflected in the accident and incident statistics of good companies versus low quality companies, and Lionair is a classic case in point.
If you are unfortunate to be working for a dodgy operator, apply like mad to all of the good companies, but in the meantime, try to maintain your professional standards. If a critical mass of pilots maintain a professional standard, they can actually slowly change the corporate culture of dodgy operators. And it is the corporate culture of an organisation that ultimately drives the safety standard. Let me say that again, it is the corporate culture that ultimately drives the safety standard. P2F would have to defined as very poor corporate culture.

So bottom line, if your company fails to supply professional direction, supply the professionalism from your own resources. Work hard at knowing the rules, maintain as high a standard as you are able to. If you are an FO, don't be shy to speak up, command a go around if things are getting out of shape, hit the TOGA button and take over if you have to, the very worst that can happen is your employment may be terminated, at least you will be alive and you can hold your head high. If you have a command maintain your standards! The overall goal is to die as an old retired codger with lots of wrinkles, and lots of grey hair.
Lastly keep accurate records. Accurate documentation will be invaluable in defending your position, should that become necessary. Remember All crooks hate being publicly exposed. The power of public opinion can be a powerful lever. Above all else do your best to stay safe. The safety of world aviation is collectively in our all of hands.