PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2013, 03:40
Boomerang

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
So if these guys willingly continued below the minima (not talking 50' here, but CFIT!), as a crew, then lets see an appropriate penalty for negligence, or what could have resulted in manslaughter.

There is NO excuse for this behaviour, and a very clear message needs to be sent to other pilots with a similar attitude that continuing below minimas IMC during normal ops will never be tolerated. Passengers see cheap airfares, but they don't see what they're paying for. Regulators and lawmakers need to step in to even the playing field.

We've all heard anecdotes of this (continued flight below minimas) happening with different results, hence there needs to be a greater deterrent.

Fly to bali with some marijuana and you spent a large part of your life in jail, fly into the ocean with a serviceable 737 (potentially killing all on board) and you get ...

(Sorry for my strong words, but I know the standards the majority of us professional pilots operate to, and to see cowboys like this out there just pizzes me off!)