PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long-haul crew composition
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2013, 02:59
7Q Off

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here we used to have very experienced FO on long hawl fleets, like in the US. The average upgrade time to captain was 13 plus years so we used to have 2 or 3 6000 hs total time FO on each flight (with 2000/3000 hs on jet as SIC on narrowbody).

But now the upgrade time was reduced to 4 o 5 years so the average FO total time is not what it used to be. Some flights can be cruising with 2 2000 TT FO. Both have ATP, both have PIC rating on type but .....

Because of this, my company and unions are starting to think about changing the 1 Capt on long haul policy. There is lot of controversy about this. Some old captains don't want the change, some old don't care, most juniors captains are more open to this change. I recognice ego is a big issue here.

The company doesn't want it because of money, but I think they recognize the problem.

I am trying to find some feedback, opinions, pros, cons, personal experiences, etc. I don't have a formal opinion about the possible change. I agree that we have low experience on most FO in general but having 2 captains could be a problem too.