PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leopard Moth and Miles Falcon still at Lilydale?
Old 16th May 2013, 23:33
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure the Miles Falcon was advertised for less than $4,500. In 1978 I was a uni student and it sold for an amount I could ave raised. I'd be surprised if it was more than $1,500.

The Leopard Moth as green then and lived ( wings folded) in the maintenance hangar. I was struck by its polished wood in the interior. I think there were 3 Tigers on the airfield plus a Gyosy Moth. In Lady Casey's hangar was her Cessna 180 and, I think, a disassembled Percival Proctor. The fist Tiger I flew was Albert Mulhauser's red one. I also flew with Albert in his Pitts. He was a bit like the pinball wizard, he seemed to fly entirely by feel. He drove a fairlane that I'll swear didn't have a straight panel.

I recall Dragon's. but I can't recall if one was based there. The first Rapide I saw flew in for the air show and I thought it was one of the most elegant aircraft I had ever seen.

The heyday was the air show for the 60th anniversary of the Gypsy Moth ( I still have the T-shirt $ calendar) then the wonderful parties of he Royal and Ancient Berwick Aero Club. I believe that the core if that group still meet.

Cnl Hatfield had his office in the little glass fronted building an was an intimidating form to a school kid. I learned to fly with Bill Cambpbell Hicks, Pete Murphy, Reg Ross and Alan Baskett. I followed Alan to Essendon where he was one of the first schools to operate after it was opened up to GA. After that I went to Coldstream, where Tony Smith was a young grade 3 instructor.

I don't know if its just me, but there just don't seem to be many career instructors of this calibre any more.