PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2013, 21:42
Danny42C

BEagle,

I was Fire Officer at Linton-on-Ouse from '62-'64. Grand bunch of men. I particularly recall my training Course at RAF Catterick and the terror we felt on launching ourselves into space on our first try on the Fireman's Pole. Some chaps leapt at it with such force that they knocked a tooth out on it.

My recurring nightmare was the Aldwark Bridge. If you plot a 60 degree wide cone out from each end of the runway, you have the area in which most airfield crashes occur. Part of one of these areas is over the other side of the Ouse. The short way is over the bridge. But it was a wooden structure of limited bearing capacity (I'm not sure what it was) and our Saracen came in at 13 tons, all-up.

Supposing you have a crash on the far side. The Cpl of the Crew has the choice of taking a chance on the bridge (and risking ending in the river on top it), or going almost to York to get across, get back and find that the fire has burnt out.

You can't expect the Cpl to take the responsibility, So it falls to me to issue the Standing Order. Bridges don't come cheap (nor do Saracens). It's way beyond my pay scale. The Council engineers thought it should stand the strain, but would not commit themselves. The Station Commander ? - Forget it ! Group ? The Corridors of Power resounded with the sound of Staff Officers running for cover. No one would carry the can.

So it was left to us. Fortunately it never happened on my watch. Does anyone remember any more about this problem in later years ?

Mess Silver ? There must be a storeroom somewhere packed with the stuff. I suppose MOD will sell it all off as a job lot when the last Station closes.....D.

Harry Lime,

The name was Len Rapkin. (Clue: he'd been a RAF Diving Champion of some sort). He came to us as a F/O in ATC about '70.

What's a "Lumpy Box" ?......D.

pzu,

Thanks for the link (haven't been to Thornaby since I don't know when). Think
the Spitfire's still on the rounabout......D

Blacksheep,

Sounds revolting !.....D.

Geriaviator ,

The "Bap" is well known and esteemed in these parts (NE England), too.....D.

Fareastdriver,

If there was money to be made, your Indians wouldn't mind what hour of the day or night you knocked them up !

"Banjo" - seem to remember a "Banjal" in India, maybe same thing, can't be sure, too long ago....D. EDIT: Of course ! It was BRINJAL I was thinking about. Silly me !......D.

Smujsmith,

Well, if you're hungry enough, any grub is good grub !....D.

Goodnight all, Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 16th May 2013 at 23:12. Reason: Correct Error.