PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ILS signal lost during final..
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2013, 20:32
PappyJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meatlover. Most of us OFB (Old Fart Brigade) are more than happy to explain things to the 'newbies.'

In your case what I think what's happened is some confusion between the criteria to 'commence' an approach, and the requirments to 'continue' an approach. They are different.

It's true that there issues that prevent us from 'commencing' an approach, unless specific criteria exist that you mentioned, i.e.: past the FAF when the WX is received,etc.

However, once past the final approach fix you're dealing with things that will allow you to "continue", which by FAA regulation (most other countries are similar, expect China which is a whole different sordid affair) include:

-having the approach light system in view which will allow you to further continue to about 100 feet (CAT I ILS),

-then, having the 'red terminating bars' in sight, allows you to continue until you see specifics of the runway environment, then

-you land.

So, if you have any or all of the above in sight regardless of the distance, ie: 4 kms, there is nothing that prevents you from continuing the 'approach' and LANDING. Furthermore, its legal, normal and expected, so there's no need to 'request, confirm, beg or borrow" anything.

Make sense?

ps: I've only seen an Autopilot kick of due to turbulence when the turbulence was causing IAS changes +/- 25 knots and VSI +/- 2000 FPM. Now, I only have a little over 20,000 hours so I haven't seen everything, but the autopilot 'kicking off at 400 feet. No need to Go-Around over it, true. But, I'd question whether he should have been there in the first place. Mind you, it might be the whole 'old bold' thing.

Last edited by PappyJ; 16th May 2013 at 20:38.