PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The UK Childrens Air Ambulance - Info??
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2013, 20:02
homonculus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry chaps but this is not a critically ill baby. Period. We do have critically ill children for which air transportation has been shown to be beneficial but I hope they select their cases carefully in future.

As for the Sheffield Report bsbhe38, its findings discussed adult trauma - totally different. The conclusions were supported by the data and have never been disputed. No new data in the UK makes the findings outdated that I know of. Air ambulances responding to adult trauma are very high cost per life saved - this was discussed a few weeks ago on pprune. That doesnt mean they do not allow ambulance trusts meet government targets, nor does it ignore the fact that they may reduce pain and suffering from a long road journey, but the fact that we now have lots of them doesnt in itself indicate their efficacy or health economics.

I look forward to any new data on paediatrics, but please remember we have been flying babies in the UK since 1987. Perhaps we havent had the publicity of TAAS but we have been quietly getting on with it. We have produced national guidelines and published data. It certainly doesnt make financial sense but it does allow scarce neonatal facilities to be better used and to be available to more people.