PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This is your teenage pilot speaking: 19-year-old is offered job at Ryanair
Old 16th May 2013, 16:05
contacttower118.2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is if even one wannabe realises the risks and doesn't ruin themselves or their family.
Ah yes that I agree with, but that is a slightly different point though isn't it?

To the wannabes: there is no pilot shortage. That is what's called marketing Most people don't get work out of flightschool.
Unless you pay £100k to go OAA/CTC in which there is a reasonable probability of getting a job afterwards, not guaranteed of course but a much higher probability than going modular at a random shed at the local airfield. So which is really the bigger risk? I think the original subject of this thread sort of illustrates that.

And I say that as someone who has, so far at least, done all my training at the local airfield shed....

In the end TeaTowel we come back to the point that is so often debated on here...high debt integrated vs. pay as you go modular. As previously discussed not everyone is lucky enough for the former to be an option but when comparing both two things always stand out for me...

High debt integrated is a BIG risk unless one is on a mentored scheme but with OAA or CTC there is a pretty good chance of employment at the end since they have good airline contacts.

Pay as you go modular is less of a financial risk and suits those who are working but it is increasingly difficult to get a job afterwards because the major European airlines have basically decided that they prefer the integrated product and are in bed with OAA/CTC. If one then goes instructor after modular the likelihood is you won't have as much debt but you also will be earning a lot less than those who went integrated and got a job afterwards.

That's my take on it anyway. I have basically decided that I'll try a few more airline schemes (failed easyJet and just received the Aer Lingus online assessment details) and then it is on with the local shed for me...