PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the 'Bus in manual thrust
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2013, 15:02
WhyByFlier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some tips for manual thrust on the A320:

- Target thrust (N1) for Vapp is approximately Gross Weight - 10. e.g. 60 tonnes requires about 50% N1.

- Never let the target speed arrow go through your target speed.

- The thrust levers on the Airbus are much shorter than on a Boeing or many other airliner types. The upshot of that is you don't have to move them as far to get the desired effect. Small movements to keep the speed - but accept the odd speed variation without changing the thrust. Fly like any other aircraft - pitch and thrust (power) = performance. Conf 3 target a pitch of 5 degrees (for a 3 degree approach) and Conf Full target 2.5 degrees.

- Aside from setting your approximate final approach thrust, when moving the thrust levers 'walk them up and down' (EDIT to say I just read uplinker's post - 'walk the thrust levers up and down' was the exact phrase used when I was trained) one thrust lever at a time with half centimeter movements to refine the speed whilst maintaining your speed.

- Anticipate your pitch changes and consider the wind.

- As for when you close the thrust - it's the same as with the ATHR on. Why would it be any different? Do you really believe 0.5 second makes a difference between a normal and a hard landing?

The Airbus 320 is an extremely enjoyable aircraft to fly MAN THRUST. With the greatest respect, any trouble you are having with landings as a result of flying MAN THRUST are down to you. Perfect practice makes perfect so keep doing it until you have it. Personally I practice at least once a week - at the very least.

In lufthansa - to keep commonality between fleets I believe their SOP is to disconnect ATHR if and when disconnecting AP.

Last edited by WhyByFlier; 16th May 2013 at 15:06.