PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leopard Moth and Miles Falcon still at Lilydale?
Old 16th May 2013, 12:48
StallsandSpins

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AAT was Taken over by the RAAF during WW2 for communications use. It was purchased from disposals by Sam Hecker from Temora who then sold it on to Arthur Schutt who by that time had a large flying school/charter operation at YMMB. One of his pilots ground looped it and put it through the fence smashing the port wing i guess sometime around 1958 which is when you would have seen it in the back of the hangar at YMMB. Schutty sold it to a young engineer who rebuilt the wing and got it flying again.

Here is a picture of my grandfather inspecting the aircraft at Archerfield prior to purchase in 1977. The figure $4500 comes to mind but that was before my time. I think it had been sitting outside in the humid Queensland weather for a while and was in worse shape than it must have looked.

They ferried the aircraft down to casey and my grandfather invited Schutty over from YMMB to come display it at an airshow that was being held at Casey, which was when the above photos were taken. It went into the workshop for an inspection on the following monday and didnt fly again until David Squirrel took it on a test flight after a complete rebuild in 1990. UUL and AAT were used in a abc mini series about the 1934 England to Australia air race, AAT was painted to represent Harold Brooks's Falcon G-ACTM and UUL was painted to represent VH UQO Jimmy Melrose's Puss Moth