PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Only in Un Zud..............
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2013, 08:28
SLFMS

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Snoop

As a hunter that enjoys utilising the great conditions in NZ for hunting I find this sort of article interesting to read.
I read another article in the Deerstalkers Association magazine recently in which hunters which shot 6 pointer Bucks or smaller were scalded. The Reason been that if they were left, next year the Stag could have trophy antlers that somebody could hang on their wall.
Although I do not have anything against trophy shooting I do not understand it. I personally shoot with the intention of eating the animal and find killing an animal just for some antlers a little perverse. The meat on large Bucks especially during the Roar is average at best.
This is the true reason for the Deerstalkers push on the matter, They want to preserve the good Trophy's and do not want them been hunted by commercial operators. The Association has no interest in lowering Deer numbers.
After reading the article I withdrew my membership from the association as did one of my family members.
From the Department of Conservation's view point the more Deer that are shot the better as they are a feral pest. It seems surprising (perhaps not from the government) that the Associate Conservation Minister would be odd's with this.
It's even more crazy to shut down an industry that supports local jobs and gets tourist dollars into areas that might not normally get them