PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top of the World: photos from Nepal
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2013, 02:39
Vertical Freedom

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Angel LTE

Hey Encyclo

hehehehe Mate no LTE, judicious use of wind with carefully planned approaches. For a US machine, wind; Best around 10o'clock, French 2

LTE is real especially for a JetBox

experinced LTE once, not fun; I did not take into account the potential for a strong downslope wind from a small gully just in front/below my Helipad 13,307'. Approaching from up the main Valley into a steady 17 knots upslope. 150 meters to go, then BANG nose going fast right, me full left pedal? machines continues to yaw right, so I? Ass umed - TR drive failure, rolled off throttle to straighten on a hovering auto? Shut down, exit to find machine perfect? the ridge line Helipad I'm standing on there's a steady 15knots upslope? Hmmmmm, walk back to the edge of the pad & BANG, I'm hit by a freezing cold 15knots going straight down @ 90degrees to the prevailing wind & Valley, just there above the pad? Hmmmmm then I thinks? my TR went to VR state (LTE) from the wrong R sided cross-wind.... I lost TR authority I was already over the pad with almost no ground speed, so elected against a GoAround?

We Live - We Learn

Cheers & thanks

Land Happy Always

Last edited by Vertical Freedom; 16th May 2013 at 04:30.