PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the 'Bus in manual thrust
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2013, 17:09
ZBBYLW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi C-Star,

My airline encourages us to turn off all the magic when appropriate. I personally find that the airbus is a joy to fly with the magic off. The trick for me is my first month or so on the airplane I would study the power settings (just like the old Metros that I used to fly - I knew the power setting) so I knew what the airplane usually flies with. After that its just you fine tuning the rest.

When using the A/THR off I usually disconnect it when at THR IDLE with the AP off first. It's easier that way. Normally always before an ALT * for intercept. (In North America we are usually level for at least a bit on approach, if doing a constant decent then just match the thrust levers with the current thrust setting before turning it off.

With what ever speed you have selected you manage the power to maintain that (changes greatly with speed... usually in the 40-60% margin though depending on weights).

Once on the glide slope (or decent if visual, NPA etc..) Thrust idle almost always works unless the airplane is very light/heavy or the head wind is strong.

With F1 you may need to add a touch of power but the way I usually plan my approaches the airspeed is constantly decaying so with the speed going from 220-200 ish to 180 ish the Thrust usually stays very close to idle (if not idle).

At 2000 AGL I plan for flap 2 if speed is managed F speed is very low, but at the airports I usually fly into they want 170 or 180 to the FAF so at this point you usually have to add a bit of power to maintain the speed.

1500 AGL (or in IMC 2 miles before the FAF on a NPA) I go Gear Down and speed push. If it's an ILS and I am still a few miles from the FAF I would wait on managing the speed. At this point I will either maintain the thrust setting if it's low but if I am in a heavy plane (321, or heavy 320) go THR IDLE again.

1250 AGL Flap 3

1000 AGL Flap Full (If Required)

Somewhere around 600-900 the speed has decayed back to Vapp. About 5-10 kts above Vapp I slowly start increasing the thrust again and I find between 45-55% works in about 90% of the cases. A really light airplane, really heavy airplane or a strong headwind (or tailwind ) are the only real exceptions.

After slowly advancing the leavers to about 50% you can tweak it from there (the trend arrow makes this child's play). If your company wants you stable by 1000 AGL you can set F3 and F full earlier (or the rest if you like) my airline has me stable at 100+minimums or 500 on a visual.

Hope that helps. It's all technique no approach is the same. Also remember that you can decide when the power leavers come back the "retard" call is simply an auto call out and not a mandatory call out. Strong head wind or a F3 heavy landing (I usually only do a F3 if my Vapp is less than 140 if the runway is good length) and you may want to delay the "Retardation"

Cheers,
ZBBYLW