PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post Conflict Suicide
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2013, 07:21
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Read Ben Golbacre's Bad Science or visit his website Bad Science to see how 'popular' statistics are presented/managed/manipulated.

I was speaking to a senior SSAFA officer late last year and we got on to the issue of ex SP homelessness and prison populations. He was of the belief that these 'statistics' (25% and 10% respectively, IIRC) were massively inflated and did not bear scrutiny. Firstly, Ex-military to social services could include TA, regular, and Cadet Forces, and there were no qualifying periods, ie, an 'ex military' could have left after one day's recruit training, or could be homeless after 22 years' service. Moreover, there are 'chancers' who claim to be ex military because this may garner sympathy (and benefits). I remember a survey (probably 10 years ago - and I think discussed on PPrune at the time) looking at the military homeless in London. Most, it seemed, didn't suit the military life - and withrew from training or were discharged due to unsuitability, disciplinary issues or substance abuse. And of course, no other vocational group is singled out...

Thta's not an excuse to be complacent; one just has to read the harrowing accounts in the Combat Stress magazine to see the effect military service can have 10-15 years after the event - affecting career personnel in their 30s and 40s. Several years ago I was working with another officer who was suffering from PTSD, believed to have originated during OP GRANDBY. He became very unwell and suicidal. However, he is still serving and is receiving expert support.