PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Q
Thread: Fuel Q
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2013, 06:28
PatObrien

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yooo hoo, Mr. Broadband

That Crit point and associated Mand fuel IS ONLY a planning requirement (hence the term 'flight plan'). ANO requires us to be able to reach a suitable airport if depressed (which I usually am on flights over 2 hrs) hold for 30 min and land anywhere along the route DURING THE ACTUAL FLIGHT. The airports used when Mand fuel is required during the planning stage are usually far and wide, maybe because of planning wx requirements, but really to keep the dummies from cutting it too close and running out of gas during contingencies (like all the other fuel planning rules). If you want to keep eyeballing PANC and Kansai Crit fuel as you cross the ocean, go ahead. But likely RJCC, UHPP, PASY and a few others are suitable during flight, and that Crit pt is a non factor - as is the Mand fuel figure, the 5% contingency, and that vertical descent profile we planned on in Despatch.

If there's someone in CAD that can sort through one of those abused flight plans and actually find someone who was below Enroute Diversion Fuel during flight, and you can prove this myth, I'll give you my next year's bonus.