PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew Holdies - Length of Hold
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2013, 05:51
WannabeCrewman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heightsgood;

Dont worry, I wont be going anywhere without having something solid to fall back on to. Not going to try and claim I am happy with the current state of affairs within the service at the moment, but it is an income and you never know, things might start moving a bit quicker - apparently guys are getting through Strawbs with more regularity.

That said, if I find something (and I am talking, active, hands-on jobs, not a desk job) that is going to keep me interested, excited and challenged, I may well jump ship. I want to start a career now and get my hand in early - not wait another 5 years for it to start proper, only to have to leave within 4 years of starting, because I cant make F/Sgt, a result of not having enough SJARs to be eligable for promotion.

RE: Courses - yes we can do some, however we have to provide bloody good justification.

AT courses are out there, but for me at the moment, are a no-go - the section I am holding on is so under manned that we almost cant afford people to go on leave. I did ask if I could attend JFACTSU and try to get out to Herrick in a FAC/JTAC medium - I was told a firm no, because I am still parented by 22 Gp, who are a bit funny about sending "technically untrained personnel" out to an active Operation. Cant say I blame them for being a bit funny about it.

RE SAR/MRT - I was on a SAR unit last year - the guys there did take a genuine interest and went out of their way to develop me and a number of other holdies. Had some very interesting tasks and challenges there, as well as learning a good bit about SAR stuff on the way. Top blokes, cant knock them at all.

Appreciate all the advice so far guys. Not the first time that leaving ASAP has been suggested to me either!
WC

Last edited by WannabeCrewman; 15th May 2013 at 05:52.