PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Full procedure approach
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2013, 15:35
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DutchOne
What normal jet can make this turn radius?
Didn't I just assume you'd be flying a light twin? It would be a stupid in an A330 perhaps, but very practical in a C172 or Seneca!
In my company you would have failed your check for this procedure.
Well, in real life in my company, in the sim the TRE wouldn't throw such a childish clearance at you. In our company they look for airmanship and crm. Basic IFR knowledge should and is known in our company.

Assume you're approaching LGE from the south 25 NM out,in your A330, and ATC yells you: "Smartass123, radar is down, no other traffic descend 3000', cleared for the full procedure ILS 05R" and you tell this experienced captain at your left that you intend to fly all the way to LGE, make a direct entry in the hold, fly the R70 procedure turn, and when over LGE join R214 outbound, well then I'd like to see the look on your boss's face!

Probably he'll be flabbergasted, get on the radio and ask ATC if you can self position to final to avoid the extra 14 minutes, roughly extra 50 NM detour and how much extra fuel burn in your A330? Probably, you'd get a friendly debrief after landing.

This attitude is dangerous in aviation
Didn't I just say: "take the most practical route to final BUT ALWAYS make sure you're not doing anything stupid! Be aware of your position, terrain, other traffic etc..." Such an attitude is not dangerous, it's called practical and common sense. Something that hopefully you will learn before getting to the left seat.

Sometimes full procedures make sense, but this particular one in Liège is stupid. Why not simply design a racetrack at LGE on inbound course 225°, so that you can proceed on R214 from the racetrack? Oh, wait! I know! It was you who designed this full procedure!