PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reducing runway occupancy time
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2013, 15:23
DaveReidUK

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts
We seem to have drifted (no pun intended) from runway occupancy to wake separation.

Returning to ROT, many airports where this is an issue (i.e. slot-constrained ones) are starting to look at real-time 24/7 ROT monitoring and analysis.

Raising and maintaining crew awareness of the need to (safely) minimise the time spent occupying a scarce runway resource is becoming increasingly important, and most airports have a Flight Ops Committee where such issues are discussed with operators.

Gone (well mostly) are those periodic exercises that many airports used to undertake with observers and stopwatches, measuring and recording a sample of ROTs, or by asking the ANSP to try to derive data on velocity and acceleration/deceleration on the runway from successive radar recording plots.

With the advent of multilateration and ADS-B, it's now feasible for an airport to profile every runway movement and to provide its operators with timely feedback on their crews' performance. I know that LHR, for example, were looking at such a system a couple of years ago, although for various reasons it hasn't yet materialised, but I don't think it will be long before we see some of the world's leading airports doing continuous ROT monitoring.