PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Full procedure approach
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2013, 14:21
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DutchOne
So tell me pls. What is according to you the official way and what is the practical way. Just have in mind you were cleared for the full procedure. (for whatever reason).
I'll assume that you're still in IFR training flying some light single or twin.

Approaching LGE from the south, the official way would be to make a direct entry into the hold, when again over LGE, proceed outbound R070, complete this procedure turn, when once again over LGE proceed on LGE R214 to 8.5 DME, and turn right to join final.

The practical way? (lets assume you're on LGE R180 at 3 DME inbound to the VOR) ask atc:" OO-ABC, request to turn left to intercept R214 outbound" and proceed to R214 8.5D at 3000' minimum (MSA)

If you're further away, let's say 10 NM south, you might ask atc "request to proceed direct to 10 miles final 05R"

Whatever position you are at, ask yourself what the fastest and easiest routing would be, make sure it's safe (stay above msa) and ask atc if you can do that.

In real life I'd do anything to avoid flying this stupid full procedure.

Sometimes ATC will be reluctant to clear you for anything else then the full procedure (due to lack of radar, some terrain around and liabilty risks for instance) ATC might answer you then: "Cleared for the approach, no other traffic, report final". In such a case don't hesitate: take the most practical route to final BUT ALWAYS make sure you're not doing anything stupid! Be aware of your position, terrain, other traffic etc... (And check with your instructor/examiner if he doesn't mind )

edit: spelling

Last edited by sabenaboy; 14th May 2013 at 14:36.